In preparation for Hurricane Ian, the American Red Cross has moved hundreds of trained volunteers from across the country and tens of thousands of relief supplies to Florida and is opening dozens of shelters to make sure people have a safe place to ride out the storm.
Currently, seven volunteers from the American Red Cross Greater Pennsylvania Region are positioned in Florida. More of our local Red Cross volunteers are expected to deploy to The Sunshine State in the coming days.
Meanwhile, three Red Cross volunteers from the Greater Pennsylvania Region are deployed in Puerto Rico where people in many areas are still living without power and running water more than a week after Hurricane Fiona hit the island. In Puerto Rico, the Red Cross has provided:
- More than 280 disaster workers, many with no power or water themselves, who are working around the clock with our partners to provide comfort and support
- More than 2,600 households with more than 17,800 relief items, including comfort kits and other supplies
- More than 25,700 meals and snacks with the help of partners
YOU CAN HELP people affected by disasters like storms and countless other crises by making a gift to Red Cross Disaster Relief. Your gift enables the Red Cross to prepare for, respond to and help people recover from disasters big and small. Visit redcross.org, call 800-RED-CROSS, or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
VOLUNTEER WITH US to help provide relief and hope to people affected by disasters. Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn about our most-needed positions including:
- Shelter support: Help at a shelter during a large disaster by welcoming and registering residents, serving meals, setting up cots, distributing blankets and personal hygiene kits, and providing information and other assistance to people in need.
- Health services: Use your professional skills as a licensed health care provider to deliver hands-on support, including care and education to people staying at a shelter during a large disaster. Qualified licenses include RN, LPN, LVN, EMT, Paramedic, MD, DO, PA, NP and APRN.
- Disaster Action Team: Join your local Disaster Action Team to help families affected by home fires and other disasters by providing support, such as food, lodging, comfort and recovery assistance.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides comfort to victims of disasters; supplies about 40% of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; distributes international humanitarian aid; and supports veterans, military members and their families. The Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to deliver its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or CruzRojaAmericana.org, or visit us on Twitter at @RedCross.
Photo credit: Marko Kokic/American Red Cross