A number of area students will graduate from the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) on Sunday, June 2. Two separate ceremonies will be held on June 2, both at the Bayfront Convention Center in Erie.
The ceremony for 132 Doctor of Pharmacy graduates and for the inaugural class of 94 osteopathic medical students from LECOM’s campus at Seton Hill University in Greensburg, Pa. will begin at 10 a.m. Sunday. Area students earning the Doctor of Pharmacy Degree are:
- Conneaut Lake – Gina Marie Michalak.
- Conneautville – Brett Alan Askey.
- Erie – Michael Alan Bish, Andrew Lee Bruinsma, Jordon Rae Burke, Geralynn Mary Clark, Emily Kathleen Ferrare, Linda Michelle Lack, Matthew Madurski (Class President and winner of LECOM School of Pharmacy Student Leadership Award and American Institute of the History of Pharmacy Certificate), Katie Marino, Angela Marie Pepicello, Teresa Jeannette Root.
- Franklin – Jessica Leigh Lowry.
- Girard – Carrie Nicole Nolan.
- North East – Kristen Ann-Marie Wolf.
- Oil City – Christopher D. Heasley.
- Sharon – Erin Christine Sypolt (Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association Outstanding Pharmacy Student Award).
- Warren – Daniel S. Pascuzzi, Chelsey Nichole Rashid (Winner of the LECOM School of Pharmacy Ambassadors Award).
The ceremony for Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine for 244 graduates will begin at 2:30 p.m. Sunday at the Bayfront Convention Center. Area students earning the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Degree are:
- Cambridge Springs – Sarah Maxine White.
- Corry – Hannah Hall Tripp (Winner of the Primary Care Award for Pediatrics)
- Erie – Jessica Esper Embrescia, Ansley Teresa Falcon, Julianne Griswold (Winner of the Marquette Savings Bank Award), Brandon Joseph Kramer, Ward McCracken (Winner of the Clarence and Virginia Eckert Memorial Award), Craig James Van Tassel (Charles F. and Ruth J. Blatt Military Honor Award).
- Greenville – Ryan Dallas Hancox.
- Meadville – Teagan Marie Hayes (Orville and Arlene Kelley Award for Family Medicine).
- North East – Zachariah David Kuchta.
- Ridgway – Kyle Edward Shilk.
- Warren – Leah Megan Campbell.
Some 31 students will earn Master of Science degrees during the 2:30 p.m. ceremony. Area students earning the Master of Science in Medical Education Degree are:
- Erie – Danielle M. DeBias, Jeffrey Jacob Esper, Kevin Falk, Erica Grazioli, Maryann Scholl, Lee Shalamar Spain.
- Fairview – Justin Scholl.
- Warren – Christine M. Welsh.
Area students earning the Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences Degree are:
- Harborcreek – Karisa I. Beebe.
- Erie – Zackary Mark Birchard.
In addition, three area students will graduate from LECOM’s campus in Bradenton, Fla. LECOM Bradenton will hold its Commencement ceremony on June 9.
Earning the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Degree at LECOM Bradenton will be:
- Warren – Katie Groff.
- Meadville – Kayla Rohleder.
Earning the Doctor of Pharmacy Degree at LECOM Bradenton will be:
- Erie – Jonathan Munn.
In total, more than 750 members of LECOM’s Class of 2013 will become osteopathic physicians and pharmacists or receive the Master of Science degree at ceremonies in Erie and Bradenton, Fla.
More about the LECOM 2013 Commencement activities
Pamela Brownlee, president of the LECOM at Seton Hill Class of 2013, will lead her fellow students as they receive the Doctor of Osteopathic medicine degree. She said her experience as a member of the inaugural class was both exciting and intimidating.
“It was intimidating because we had no upperclassmen to look to for advice,” said Brownlee, who matched into a general surgery residency at the University of Florida Shands Hospital in Jacksonville. “Being in the inaugural class gave us a great opportunity to lay the groundwork for future classes. We had many memorable times on campus and I wouldn’t have traded my time at LECOM at Seton Hill for anything.”
LECOM will also honor two individuals from Seton Hill University who helped make the college of medicine campus a reality. Through the support of the Seton Hill University Board of Trustees, chaired by former Pennsylvania First Lady Michele Ridge, and the university administration led by President JoAnne W. Boyle, Ph.D., LECOM forged a partnership that resulted in the opening of LECOM at Seton Hill in 2009. LECOM will confer the Honorary Doctor of Science Degrees upon these two educational leaders and recognize these outstanding individuals along with the first graduates of the Greensburg campus.
“Beginning now, and into the future, LECOM at Seton Hill will contribute to LECOM’s mission by graduating well-trained physicians each year,” said Irving Freeman, J.D., Ph.D., Vice President for LECOM at Seton Hill. “I am extremely impressed by the accomplishments of the Class of 2013 and I look forward to following their careers with pride.”
LECOM Florida campus holds commencement ceremony a week after Erie.
LECOM Bradenton celebrates its sixth commencement ceremonies on Sunday, June 9, 2 p.m. at the Bradenton Area Convention Center in Palmetto, Fla. One hundred and fifty-two College of Medicine graduates and 105 School of Pharmacy graduates will walk across the stage to receive their Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine and Doctor of Pharmacy degrees, respectively.
The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine offers innovative and affordable education in osteopathic medicine, dentistry and pharmacy. From campuses in Erie, Pennsylvania and Greensburg, Pennsylvania and Bradenton, Florida, LECOM believes that when mind, body and spirit come together the impossible becomes suddenly possible. It is a calling each and every one of our students embodies to become the best they can be. To prevent disease and treat it. To give hope. Can you hear the calling?