By Hayley Mann
The benefits and the comfort of a height-adjustable desk are being talked a lot. There is no doubt that all those advantages make it worth buying the item. However, we shall agree that without proper customization, even the best item doesn’t bring that joy that you would expect from it.
If you decide to replace your old table with a height-adjustable desk, you want it to:
- Fit in the place where you usually work or study;
- Not break the interior;
- Be the most beneficial for your health;
- Have nice accessories that can be ordered together with a desk.
The good thing that some manufacturers of standing desks nowadays offer a special tool that allows you to build your own adjustable standing desk.
Make Your Own Virtual Desk before Purchasing It
Customizing a standing desk doesn’t require a lot of effort if you do it with a special tool. While the entire process is pretty straightforward, you can also use the instruction:
- Move to the page with the tool. There, choose the desk type;
- You will be asked to choose the table lift;
- You will be prompted to select the size of the top. If you are choosing a corner table, the shape will be offered, too;
- Now, choose the top colour and accessories.
With this tool, you can ensure that the desk will look as you want. The functionality will also not disappoint you if you are ordering the item from a reliable manufacturer.
Benefits of Using a Height-Adjustable Desk
A height-adjustable desk is highly beneficial first of all for your health. It prevents many health problems and helps to eliminate those that have already evolved. However, this topic deserves special attention.
Sitting-Related Health Issues and Solutions that a Standing Desk Offers
Sitting for long periods at work or during studying is one of the main causes of the following issues:
- Constant pains in the back and neck;
- Migraines or other types of headaches;
- Lack of attention and thus, loss of productivity.
These and many related issues can be avoided if you learn how to use your height-adjustable desk correctly.
First of all, an opportunity to change from a sitting position to a standing allows your back muscles and joints to relax. While when you are only sitting, your back doesn’t have a chance to rest in its natural position. Thus, you get aches in the muscles and joints of your back. The same can be told about the neck.
When your back and neck don’t work properly, another problem arises – the blood circulation. The blood doesn’t provide enough oxygen to your brain and as a result though it is needed if your brain works intensively. Thus, you get headaches which with time may become persistent.
When you sit down and get up, even this minimum of movement helps to burn some calories.
Once these common issues stop bothering you, you will be able to concentrate better and work more productively. This is not the limit yet. There are more opportunities for you if your aim is to use the full potential of your new desk.
Exercising Will Boost the Positive Effects
If you don’t count on a desk only but do some basic exercises, the effects will amaze you. There are exercises developed especially for a standing desk. Whether you work at home or in an office, you can greatly benefit from them. Some of them can be done without even interrupting your work while for others, you might need to devote some time.
- The simplest exercise is raising on your toes. Of course, you can do it any time, but a height-adjustable desk is convenient because you can do it while working in a standing position. In case you doubt how to do it, here is a short instruction: raise on your toes. Wait some time (10-15 seconds is ok). Lower yourself again on feet.
- Stretching is also an efficient exercise to relax the muscles of your back and stretch your chest. Just hold your hands behind, clasp them, and stretch your arms. Even after one time, you will feel how energy is flowing into your body.
- One more simple exercise is stretching your legs when working in a sitting position (ok, working is not a must). Just lift your leg forward to the level of your hips. Hold it 10-15 seconds, and put back on the floor. Repeat with the other leg.
Finally, if you want a better result, you can devote some time to exercising. There is no need to leave your desk though.
Chair dips: this exercise is much more demanding than any from the previous set. Thus, if you manage to do 1-2 repetitions at the start, it is still absolutely ok. Thus, put your hands back and hold onto the chair edge. Ready? Now, with arms, lift your body slightly and move down. Try to get as close to the floor as it is possible. Now, lift yourself back to the chair. It is important that your leg and arms only move. Other parts remain immobile.
How did you like it? A height-adjustable desk is not only convenient. It can become a perfect tool to help you to keep yourself healthy and fit. And if you are healthy, you can be more concentrated and productive. It, in turn, means less time for bigger work volumes, more income, and more time to spend with your family and friends.
Hayley Mann is a technology enthusiast specializing in automation methods of ergonomics devices. Her engineering background helps her to create interesting articles on technical topics, making them understandable for all readers.