Women enjoy using pre workout just as much as the guys do, and for good reason. With so many women realizing that strong is the new skinny, it’s no wonder they’re looking to improve their strength and perform their best during their daily workouts.
The supplements we are featuring today showcase some great ways women can overcome their hurdles in the gym, such as fatigue or lack of focus. They can also help women who would like to grow their muscles.
If you are a woman who wants to do great things in the gym or know a woman who could use a great pre-workout, stick with us, and keep reading. We’ve got three amazing pre workouts you will love to buy for yourself or give to a woman who wants to shine.
How Do We Choose These Brands?
In creating this list of the best ladies’ pre workout supps, we thought about all the things that make a pre workout worth using. We boiled it down to three main factors: Ingredients, price, and how to get it.
We consulted some of the ladies on our team about their workout habits. We asked them, “What do YOU want to see in a pre-workout supplement?”
The four women on our team who all love working out in different ways stated a few things. They wanted to see a formula that was natural as can be, was free of artificial sweeteners and sugars, tasted somewhat decent and wasn’t priced out of their range.
While we value the input of our female teammates dearly, we cannot let their opinions speak for all women everywhere. Thus, the research began.
We wanted to find formulas that indeed tasted great and were as natural as possible, but we also wanted to see what other women were saying.
So, we searched and found three great brands that women everywhere were enjoying, and for good reason: The ladies noted they saw results and liked how it made them feel.
We checked the ingredients out and verified that they do exactly what they claim. Yes, we did research on each and every ingredient!
We also made sure these supps were affordable. Sure, boutique fitness is a thing, and we’d love to work out like the Kardashians, but that’s out of many peoples’ price ranges. So, we made sure the price was matched with the quality.
Lastly, we made sure these supps were easy to get. In these pandemic times, you sometimes don’t know when you’re going to be able to get to the store or if they will even have what you want in stock.
So, we chose supps that you can order online, get delivered discreetly, and enjoy on your own terms.
Okay, that’s how we chose the supplements, now we can get into what you all came here for: The best three pre workouts for women.
Best Pre-Workout for Women of 2020
#1. Blackwolf Trail Pre-Workout
The name of the brand behind the supplement we featured first is Wolfson Berg. This brand is known for bringing out some of the best supplements you’ve ever seen, and they formulated this one, especially for the women.
It’s part of a three-pack supplement regiment they are marketing to women. We think this is great for females that are serious about their fitness: either you are an elite athlete, or you are training to be the absolute very best you can be.
This is because the Blackwolf formula recommends that you take their pre workout, intra workout, and post-workout supplement.
Granted, you CAN absolutely take just the pre workout and be just fine. However, they really encourage the use of all three of their products for the best results.
It’s called the Huntress pack, and it’s great for women that are really into fitness.
By taking the pre-workout supplement, known as Trail, you get your body fueled with energy that you’re going to require once you get into the gym.
However, energy in vast amounts is not the only benefit that will come about as a result of using this stellar formula.
Here’s what other women reported experiencing as a result of this pre workout:
- Better mood
- Better performance at the gym
- Better stamina and endurance
- Better focus
- Better fat burn
- Better recovery time
To use this supp is pretty easy, and it’s versatile, too. You just mix it up with some milk, into your protein shakes or into your juice/water.
You can mix it into a smoothie if you like. Just make sure to take it about 30 minutes before you get ready to work out, so that way, you can feel that energy kick in once it’s time to start lifting, running, or stretching.
What’s in Blackwolf Trail?
The ingredients in this pre workout are important because then it becomes clear how they work for you.
We went ahead and listed all the ingredients, so you can see them for yourself. They work together in tandem to help you achieve your workout goals.
Check them out:
- Creatine Monohydrate-Creatine helps you get cut and get muscle mass. Your muscles also recover faster.
- Beta-Alanine- This boosts your exercise threshold, is an immune system booster, and also is an anti-aging ingredient.
- Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)- This helps you stay healthy, avoid illness, keep teeth in good repair, and help iron absorb easily. It heals wounds and makes cartilage, too.
- Whey Protein Isolate– This lowers your blood pressure and inflammation. It gets you proteins that are necessary for the building of muscle.
- Citrulline Malate- This stuff promotes healthy blood flow. Blood needs to get to your muscles so that working out is easier for you. It helps you work out longer and harder, so you and your muscles don’t feel as fatigued.
- L-Isoleucine- Your body cannot make l-isoleucine. It is a BCAA, or branch chain amino acid, which offers your body fuel when metabolic stress is taking place. It enhances performance.
- Vitamin E- You may have seen this in your skincare products, but it’s also helpful when considering the health of your eyes and a lowered risk of cancer. It’s great for the immune system, too.
- Zinc- Ladies need 8mg of zinc a day. It guards against the common cold, protects vision, and helps us heal wounds faster.
- L-Glutamine– L-glutamine helps heal tissues that are damaged during an intense activity, such as working out. Your intestinal walls will stay in good health, too. Should the tissues of your digestive tract become irritated, this stuff heals it up.
- L-Valine- This is another branch chain amino acid (BCAA), which is a helper in the recovery and repair of muscles. It helps reduce high blood pressure, too.
- L-Taurine- Here, we have a nutrient that promotes great exercise performance and guards against disorders of the neurological kind. It even protects the heart and helps fight brain aging.
- Magnesium Citrate- This nutrient is excellent for your muscular health and your nerves too. It gets water into the intestines. It is a laxative and could help if you are constipated.
- Selenium Select- Selenium is good for the immune system and lowering the risk of some cancers. It reduces asthma symptoms, to0, if you are an athlete with such a condition, consider using this.
- Potassium Citrate– Potassium citrate can get you a healthy heart and healthy kidneys. It helps keep you free of kidney stones, and guards against gout.
- Sodium – This will help your blood volume remain at a normal level. It’s an electrolyte that helps with balancing fluids.
- Calcium- Calcium will get your bones feeling healthy, your heart functioning in good order, and improve on muscle and nerve function. Calcium protects against cancer and high blood pressure, too.
- Caffeine- Caffeine is good for your focus, getting you a massive burst of energy and, of course, helping you stay alert in your surroundings.
- L-Leucine- It may also help users lose fat and weight. L-leucine is good for synthesizing proteins and could help you lose weight and lower your body fat, too.
- Pantothenate- This is vitamin B5, and it helps you make red blood cells. It also creates sex hormones, as well as stress hormones. It keeps the digestive tract healthy and synthesizes cholesterol.
How It Works?
This pre workout is made of a stellar formula which combines BCAA, caffeine, whey and creatine, all things you should be looking for when you shop.
Whey is especially great because it helps you get that protein you need. It helps you get enough, which can be hard at times, especially for vegetarians.
When you consume the right amount of protein, you increase your metabolic rate, which gets more fat and calories burned up, and in turn, helps you drop that weight but get the muscles you want.
You may have noticed we mentioned BCAAS or branch chain amino acids a lot in our descriptions above. These are great for helping muscles get big and strong because they are promoters of muscle protein synthesis.
Meanwhile, caffeine and creatine supply the body with the energy needed to start and finish your workouts like a champ.
Other ingredients are helpful just because of their very nature. For example, magnesium helps with sore muscles, and potassium protects against lost electrolytes.
- Safe with no reported side effects
- Discounts are available
- Great for serious athletes
- Great ingredients
- The beta-alanine may lead you feel tingly.
- The pre workout is effective but very expensive.
Why Consider Buying This Pre-Workout?
For starters, the ingredients label contains stuff that is designed to work together and make your body feel fantastic. There’s no fillers or artificial ingredients included.
Second, the formula just works, as evidenced by their pro-athlete endorsements.
Lastly, you can easily get it sent to you online, which is a big help for busy people, or people who do not want to go to the store for a pre workout during these uncertain times.
#2. 4 Gauge Pre-Workout
4 Gauge is all about combining natural ingredients that help you boost workout performance like a champ. It’s vegan, too, so just about everybody can take this!
This is made by Roar Ambition, a UK company that is known for its great products in the health and fitness world.
This is for the women’s pre workout- yes, the company makes two supplements, one for the guys and one for the ladies. Of course, we are going to review the female version.
Ingredients in 4 Gauge?
- L-Theanine: This helps you sleep better and improves your brain function. It helps you lose weight and relax. You may find that you feel less anxiety, thanks to this ingredient.
- Caffeine: Caffeine helps you stay focused and energized. It helps suppress appetite, too.
- Red Beet– Red beets improve your performance, are good for losing weight, and good at maintaining a healthy blood pressure number.
- Creatine Monohydrate: Creatine is a booster for one’s strength, is good for muscle growth, and great for recovery of muscles.
- Coconut Water– Coconut water helps athletes stay rehydrated, fortifies the body with calcium, and contains amino acids, protein, and more. It’s good for your blood pressure, too.
- Acetyl L-Carnitine- This helps with memory, reduces pain in the nerves, and is good for turning fat into energy.
- L-Citrulline Malate: This helps blood vessels stay healthy in the sense that the blood can flow much more easily thanks to this nutrient. Only 8g is needed to make a difference.
- Rhodiola Rosea: When taken with antidepressants, the side effects of these medications could be reduced thanks to this ingredient. It fights anxiety and improves your mental health.
How It Works?
The secret lies in the top-notch formulation of these ingredients. They have all been hand-picked so that whomever is taking the supplement gets a pre workout that knocks their expectations right out of the park.
The formula uses L-theanine as one of its primary ingredients to relax you and get you focused. You will find that you are enjoying the workout and what it’s doing for your body instead of groaning your way through.
Creatine boosts your brain function and builds muscles, helping you lean out and feel stronger. L-citrulline works to increase your body’s nitric oxide. It makes workouts a lot easier as a result.
Next, rhodiola rosea is an ancient herb that helps increase mood naturally and is good for cognitive health. Lastly, coconut water helps you stay hydrated and helps with your overall health.
- Increases blood flow, so your body enjoys more oxygen and energy during workouts
- Boosts brain activity so you are more focused on the task at hand
- Offers users great pumps and effective workouts
- Delivers a boost to stamina so you can work out longer and harder
- Only comes in one flavor
- Only sold online
Why Consider 4 Gauge?
Users of the formula noted that improved pumps when taking this particular pre workout. Especially if you are bulking, you will get your goals accomplished much faster thanks to the great pumps you get when using this product.
This also helps athletes put in more effort as they work out. Energy and endurance levels go up with the use of this great product, and since muscles are getting more oxygen and nutrients, they feel less tired and less of that “burning” feeling.
This formula is known for not giving people that tingly feeling they sometimes get. For example, the previous product we reviewed contained beta-alanine.
This is not a bad ingredient by any means, but some people just don’t like the tingly feeling it gives them. So, if you want to avoid that, consider this pre workout.
We would also advise the use of the 4 Gauge Pre workout supplement if you’re concerned about side effects. This is great for just about everybody: it’s vegan, and no negative side effects have been reported.
Granted some people cannot have coconut, but aside from this, we found the ingredients to be great for nearly everyone. It’s in your best interest to carefully read the label to make sure it’s right for you.
#3. Performance Lab Sport Pre
For clean energy that is vegan and packed with nutrients, you want to turn to Performance Lab Sport Pre Workout for the best pre workout supplements for women. This pre workout is in the form of a capsule.
It helps you optimize your fitness levels by boosting blood flow to the muscles, increasing your endurance, and of course, your stamina.
There are many ingredients inside this pre-workout, including favorites like amino acids, cordyceps, and helpful BCAAs. There’s no caffeine in this one, so if you are sensitive to such an ingredient, this could be an option for you.
Let’s get into why this supplement is awesome, starting with the ingredients.
Ingredients of Performance Lab Sport
- Seteria Performance Mix (L-Citrulline and L-Glutathione)– L-citrulline helps with the flow of blood. Meanwhile, l-glutathione is good for lowering oxidative stress and also helps with insulin resistance. It fights diseases of the autoimmune system, too.
- CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine– This is great for muscle building and focus. It helps increase recovery time and boots your endurance, too.
- Creapure PH10– Creapure is creatine but better. You will enjoy lean muscle mass and more energy and better muscle recovery.
- Himalayan Pink Salt– This is great for keeping you hydrated and keeping electrolytes in balance (we tend to lose them when we sweat).
- Cordyceps- This helpful fungus is excellent for the treatment of weakness, dizziness, kidney disorders, and even helps with high cholesterol. There are many other benefits to cordyceps, but these are just a few relating to this helpful ingredient.
- Maritime Pine Bark Extract– This is also called pycnogenol. It is a plant extract that helps with athletic performance and recovery alike.
- NutraGenesis Iron+ – Iron is important for metabolism. Hemoglobin and myoglobin deliver oxygen to our bodies. It is important for effective workouts because it moves oxygen from the lungs to the tissues in your body.
How It Works?
It all starts with the nitric oxide boosters, which are l-arginine and l-citrulline. These increase nitrous oxide levels in our bodies. It helps with blood flow, which in turn helps muscles get bigger and aids in their fast recovery.
Next, you will find that this formula has beta-alanine, derived from the CarnoSyn included in the blend. It increases the levels of carnosine, which our muscles are sometimes deprived of.
Carnosine increases our muscles’ power, which is important for the physically demanding nature of working out.
This ingredient is also a protector against muscle fatigue and helps you to increase your endurance levels.
Next, the Himalayan pink salt is good because it brings back electrolytes that we lose from sweating. Antioxidants are brought to us courtesy of the maritime pine bark extract and protect our muscles.
Last, iron is another key player. Iron deficiency can and will happen and is associated with fatigue, lowered threshold for exercise, and lowered quality of workouts. Thankfully this pre workout ensures you get enough.
- The vegan-friendly formula offers you clean energy
- Only has a total of 8 ingredients
- Provides you protection against iron deficiency
- Neutral taste, easy to swallow capsules.
- No additional vitamins built into the blend
- A bit expensive
Why Consider Buying Performance Lab Sport?
We like this pre workout because it offers the user better performance in the gym or on the field, thanks to the ingredients included. For example, creatine is known for boosting exercise performance.
It helps you sprint better, reduces your fatigue, and is great for your endurance. This formula has tons of essential amino acids like l-carnosine and l-glutamine and many others, which will get you the desired results.
Next, we liked that the formula is pure and clean. The formula is free of most allergens and is vegan. It doesn’t have much of a flavor, because it does come in capsule form, and can be taken on the go.
Should Women Use Pre-Workouts?
We will answer this short and sweet; the answer is YES.
Women can safely use pre workout supplements and reap their benefits just as well as men can.
Most pre workout supplements can be used by people of both genders, and unisex formulas do exist out there. However, it’s best to pick one that matches your gender because the formula works WITH your body.
Women’s pre workouts are made with the stuff women need to get strong: BCAA’s, proteins, and energy providers. They may also include mood boosters that help you stay calm, cool, and collected- not to mention focused- as you cruise through your workout and balance all the other parts of your day.
After all, women are known for their ability to multitask, so these pre workouts can make that a bit easier.
But let’s look at it from a scientific standpoint. Women’s and men’s muscles are certainly different but still operate on the same principles. Muscles are worked, they tear, they rebuild, and muscle grows. Of course, there’s more to it than that, but it’s the same for both the ladies and the gents.
Some women worry that using pre workout is going to make them bulky or big. This is not correct. Taking a pre workout is designed to help you increase muscle mass, and this is true. However, a pre workout alone will not do this.
Women who want to gain size are going to have to eat correctly, take additional supplements, and work out regularly.
Simply taking a pre workout and following a reduced-calorie diet won’t do such a thing. And if you are a woman who prefers cardio over weightlifting, this becomes even more true: to increase size, weightlifting is the way.
To make it easier: A woman won’t get big or bulky using a pre workout supplement. It takes a very specific diet and exercise regimen to do such a thing.
Yes, women can and should take pre workout supplements. They’re not only great for your performance when it comes to working out, but they are also great for getting you motivated to work out.
For example, you may know you have to work out. You may want to. But, you may lack the energy to do so by the time you reach your designated workout time.
Instead of sitting on the couch, letting that precious hour go by and hating yourself for missing out on such an opportunity, pre workout can give you that boost you need to get up and get moving.
It’s especially great for you ladies that have to get up early to work out. It can help you get motivated to hit the squat rack or the treadmill even when you feel too tired to do so.
You may even enjoy the effects of your pre workout during the rest of the day, such as increased focus. Great for those particularly stressful workdays!
What are some Pre-Workout Benefits?
Curious about what you can get out of taking a great pre workout? Check out these benefits.
More Energy to Get Things Done
A body in motion tends to stay in motion to modify Newton’s First Law. If you want to stay in motion and make those gains, lose that weight or just feel great about your efforts, pre workouts can help you do just that.
You have to be able to expend the correct amount of energy to make a difference. These pre workouts will give you the energy needed to do intense and tough workouts that will leave you feeling good and get you results you want.
Ladies, have you ever done a hard workout but walked around stiffly the next day thanks to the soreness you felt? These pre workouts won’t cure all your soreness, but they will help you get back at it again the next day.
Muscle soreness comes from our muscles getting damaged. If you give your body nutrients like BCAAs, that are present in pre workout formulas, your muscles will recover much faster, which keeps you coming back to the gym for all your scheduled workouts.
We have lots to think about during the day, but during your gym time, you should worry about just that: getting the workout done to the best of your ability.
Complex moves require you to stay focused and execute them correctly, so you avoid injury. Ingredients like caffeine help you stay focused and on track.
Metabolism varies from woman to woman. Some women have fast ones; others have slower ones. No matter what, a pre workout can help you speed it up, so you use energy efficiently and get more out of your workouts.
A slower metabolism could mean that you burn calories slower and have a harder time building muscle than those with a fast metabolism.
Improved Weight Loss
Many women are excited to lose weight, but it is hard on them compared to men who seem to drop weight easily. Women must consume less calories than they burn in order for weight loss to take place.
Pre-Workout supplements increase energy, which increases workout length, which burns more calories and leads to greater weight loss.
Helps You Feel Satisfied
Part of losing weight and gaining muscle is to ensure you are eating the right foods. You have to make sure you’re not eating because you feel bored or “snacky.”
The ingredients in these pre workouts can help you suppress hunger, so you aren’t reaching for unhealthy snacks simply because you want to enjoy the taste or satisfy a random sugar craving.
The ingredients in these pre workout supplements are great for helping you stay focused on the task at hand so your mind isn’t wandering to what the vending machine has to offer or what you will eat for lunch today. You may find it easier to avoid snacking between your scheduled meals, too.
Any Side Effects of Pre-Workouts?
The pre workouts we featured in today’s article do not contain any adverse side effects when taken correctly. Some users did complain about the beta-alanine, which made them feel tingly when taking it.
However, when taken correctly, these pre workout supplements will be beneficial to you, and you won’t feel bad when taking them.
Just make sure you follow the dosing instructions to a tee. Some people think they can take more than the recommended dose as a means of achieving faster results or working out a lot harder.
This is generally not a good idea as it can lead to the following side effects:
- Tingling/prickly feelings
- High blood pressure
You should also be aware of your own limits. If you know you have a sensitivity to caffeine, opt for a pre workout that is stimulant-free, such as the Performance Lab Sport supplement.
FAQ On Pre-Workouts
Are These Legal?
Yes, all the pre workouts we featured here today are completely legal and will not get you banned from any sports clubs or organizations you might be a part of.
If you want to be sure, check with your coach or club leader to make sure. However, we find that these supplements are great for all female athletes.
Are these Safe?
If you follow the instructions and take them as directed, you will likely not experience any negative side effects. You should still check with your doctor before you take any of these, just to make sure they are OK for you and will not interfere with medications you may already be taking.
And, make sure you buy direct from the manufacturer, so you are getting a genuine product and not a rip-off or counterfeit.
When to Take My Pre-Workout?
Follow the directions for the best results. Most of these supplements suggest taking them about 20 to 30 minutes before you actually start working out.
What Can I Mix My Pre-Workout With?
Most of these supplements mix well with water, or you can add the supplements to your smoothies or shakes. Some mix with milk.
If you don’t like this approach, you can also buy capsules and swallow those with cups of water, which is a very easy and mess-free way to take the supplement.
In Conclusion: Which One Is Best?
There are many great pre workout supplements available for women on the market today. For us, 4 Gauge, Blackwolf Trail, and Performance Lab sport rank as our favorites.
But to answer the question about which one is the absolute best? We personally love 4 Gauge, as it is natural, vegan, and easy to mix with water or your morning smoothies.
However, it is going to be up to you to choose the one that works best for you. If you are a serious athlete, try the Blackwolf as it gets results.
If you need a natural approach to pre workout, try the 4 Gauge. And if you cannot have caffeine, Performance Lab Sport is the way to go.
Good luck and work hard!