Helping healthcare organizations leverage quality principles to maximize patient safety and efficiency—that’s the focus of the 2011 Quality Institute for Healthcare (QIHC), hosted by ASQ (American Society for Quality) www.asq.org, the leading network of global quality experts. QIHC will take place May 16–18, 2011, at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh, Pa. To learn more and to register, please visit http://qihc.asq.org.
QIHC features more than 25 short sessions and workshops designed for healthcare leaders and quality practitioners—from administrators and managers to clinical directors—who are interested in learning new and classic quality improvement tools and techniques. Healthcare professionals will learn from nationally recognized quality improvement experts from a variety of industries with a long history of improving safety and efficiency.
Participants can build a customized itinerary with in-depth, hands-on learning opportunities offered in an interactive classroom setting. Short session highlights include:
- The Art and Science of Quality Improvement in Healthcare – Monday, May 16, 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. – Randi C. Weir andIrma Marie D’Antonio, improvement specialists, UPMC Shadyside, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Eliminating Patient Harm in the Operating Room – Tuesday, May 17, 10:45 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. – Ryan Darke, performance improvement director and Clement Miller, director of perioperative services, Kaiser Permanente–Roseville Medical Center, Roseville, Calif.
Workshop topics include:
· Quality and Financial Framework for ACOs – Monday, May 16, 12:15 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. – Donald Lighter, director and Adam Campbell, researcher, The Institute for Healthcare Quality Research and Education, Knoxville, Tenn.
· Modular Kaizen for Health Systems Implementation – Monday, May 16, 3:00 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. – Grace Duffy, Management and Performance Systems, Tavares, Fla. and John Moran, senior quality adviser, Public Health Foundation, Eliot, Maine.
· Voice of Customer Analysis Using QFD: Healthcare – Tuesday, May 17, 2:45 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. – Glenn Mazur, QFD Institute, Ann Arbor, Mich. (Quality Function Deployment (QFD) is a systematic process for planners to focus on their customers.)
· But Are You Certain? Applying Measurement Uncertainty in Medical Labs – Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. – Lisa Walter, Healthy Solutions Quality Consulting, Erie, Pa.
Attendee Access to ASQ World Conference
Participants attending this year’s QIHC will also have access to other select sessions and activities of the ASQ World Conference on Quality and Improvement, which will be held concurrently with QIHC. High profile keynotes include:
- Adm. Thad Allen, USCG (Ret.) — National Incident Commander best known for his widely-praisedperformance directing the federal response to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
- Barbara Corcoran — Founder of The Corcoran Group and author of Use What You’ve Got, an entertaining business book that has become a national best-seller. Corcoran is a real estate moguland “Today Show” contributor.
- J.J. Irani — Assistant to the Director of Research and Development, Tata Steel, and a well-known change agent in the iron and steel industry.
Learn more about ASQ’s members, mission, technologies and training at www.asq.org.