The new Alzheimer’s and Other Dementias Daily Companion App and Confidence to Care book are essential tools to help those caring for someone with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias become more confident in their ability to understand, manage and even help alleviate dementia-related behavioral symptoms that a loved one may be prone to exhibit.
Family caregivers may encounter frustrating situations as they care for a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias. Without understanding what triggers the behaviors associated with the disease, or knowing practical techniques to help counter them, it’s easy for family caregivers to feel overwhelmed.
The new Alzheimer’s and Other Dementias Daily Companion App was created as a pocket guide to help family caregivers get through all the dementia care situations they likely never dreamed they would have to face. A family caregiver can download this free app now so when they have a question about the best way to handle a situation, they will have quick, helpful tips from experts and other caregivers instantly at their fingertips.
The Alzheimer’s and Other Dementias Daily Companion is an iOS mobile app available in the app store for download at no cost. It offers immediate advice with close to 500 searchable tips and practical solutions to help deal with behaviors and situations related to Alzheimer’s and other dementias.
- 25 topic categories containing close to 500 searchable pieces of advice from experts and other caregivers regarding:
- Behaviors and situations
- Emotional support
- Helpful resources
- “Ask a Question” submission form if a family caregiver can’t find the answer they are looking for
- Functionality to share advice from their own experience for the benefit of other caregivers
- A built-in rating system for users to provide feedback on each tip so caregivers benefit from others’ insight and evaluation of the advice
- 24-hour caregiving assistance available via a toll-free phone number or email submission
- Access to free Alzheimer’s and other dementias caregiver resources and training materials
- Ability to access all of the solutions and tips without Internet connectivity
A Companion to Confidence to Care
This app serves as an on-the-go companion piece to the book Confidence to Care: A Resource for Family Caregivers Providing Alzheimer’s Disease or Other Dementias Care at Home. The book combines personal stories with the same practical tips available through the app to help family caregivers confidently deal with the most common issues associated with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
It focuses on both memory and behavior symptoms that family caregivers often need help with, including their loved one’s resistance to common personal care activities. Each of these chapters offer plenty of care approaches and prevention tips, and begin with a relevant and moving real-life family caregiver story. The chapter topics include:
- Aggression and Anger
- Agitation and Anxiety
- Bedtime Struggles and Sleep Problems
- Confusion and Memory Loss
- False Accusations and Paranoia
- Hiding/Misplacing Things/Rummaging
- Judgment (problems with decision-making and problem-solving)
- Medication Mismanagement
- Mood Changes
- Sexually Inappropriate Behavior
- Social Withdrawal
This book combines personal stories with practical techniques drawn from decades of caregiving experience from family caregivers, professional CAREGivers℠ within the Home Instead Senior Care® network, and internationally recognized experts. Buy the book on Amazon. All profits from this book will be donated to the Home Instead Senior Care Foundation and designated for dementia-related organizations and causes.
Confidence to Care also highlights the importance of family caregivers caring for themselves while caring for others.
CAREGivers from Home Instead Senior Care can make a difference in the lives of older adults and their families by providing assistance with activities of daily living and companionship in order to support function and independence for as long as possible. For more information about Home Instead Senior Care visit www.homeinstead.com/greaterpittsburgh or call 1-866-996-1087