While shopping for CBD products, you may have come across terms like “broad spectrum,” “full spectrum” and “pure CBD isolate.” To the novice shopper, they might sound similar, but the only common feature they share is their source – the cannabis plant. Each label on the bottle signifies a different compound or a different set of natural compounds that can have different effects on the human body.
The discovery of the human endocannabinoid system is not even three decades old. Compounds like CBD (cannabidiol) can bind to the endocannabinoid receptors and elicit a complex signaling pathway that finally affects the pain receptors, neurotransmitters involved in depression and other mental health issues, and control other pathways that provide multiple health benefits. After the discovery of the endocannabinoid system in 1995, researchers went on to show that each cannabinoid compound has different effects on the body and mind.
What is a pure CBD isolate?
The most common difference in their influences on the human body includes the effects of THC and CBD. THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is the primary hallucinogenic compound from the cannabis strains like Cannabis Indica Pennywise. Pennywise has a 1:1 CBD: THC content that has a potentially strong hallucinogenic effect on the consumer. On the other hand, strains like hemp do not have THC, but only CBD. Now, if we circle back to dissecting the different types of isolates, it will be easy for you to understand. When the scientists or companies choose to extract only one molecule or compound from the strains of cannabis available to them, it becomes an isolate. The extracted end-product then goes through multiple cycles of refining. Depending on the degree of refinement it can become a broad spectrum, full spectrum or pure isolate.
What are the desired features of high-quality pure CBD isolate?
As you can understand, scientists use the term “isolate” to signify pure compounds. Therefore, a CBD isolate refers to only the purest CBD that they have obtained by removing any other cannabinoid compound including THC, flavonoids, chlorophyll, terpenes and other plant parts. Most companies use hemp as the source of their CBD since this strain is practically devoid of THC. That ensures less wastage and easier purification of the end compound. The best pure cannabinoid isolates typically have the following properties –
- They are 100% odor free
- They have 0% THC content
- They are non-GMO
- They are almost always pure white
- There are no residual solvents
Hence it is safe to say that high-grade 100% pure cannabinoid isolates are ideal for cooking, baking, glazing and other procedures that involve heat. The pure CBD isolates are highly stable compounds that do not denature in heat.
On the other hand, full spectrum extracts have the entire repertoire of cannabinoid compounds that the cannabis strain naturally produces. You can expect to find terpenes, essential oils and all the cannabinoid molecules in the extract. Since they work together, they create an entourage effect. In some cases, full spectrum CBD provides high relief levels as compared to pure isolates.
What are the benefits of using pure CBD extracts?
Pure CBD extract comes with a plethora of benefits for the dedicated user. Here is the list of pros you can enjoy from the pure CBD isolate –
- The high CBD concentrations serve those who need to take high doses of the compound.
- It is ideal for those, who have sensitivity towards other cannabinoids including THC.
- Pure CBD isolates can help individuals residing in states with stringent THC laws.
- CBD pure isolate is ideal if you have to undergo drug screening at work regularly.
- First-time users with no experience in full-spectrum CBD, typically prefer the safer pure CBD isolate form.
- You can use it as an additive to baked goods, and confectioneries.
Who should use pure CBD isolates?
CBD isolates have a unique property that enables them to retain their medicinal properties even after cooking, and baking. There is no need to smoke or vape CBD isolates for releasing their benefits. Advanced isolation techniques have made the extraction and purification of CBD compounds much easier from every cannabis strain. However, you must not forget that consuming a pure CBD isolate gives you a higher dose of CBD than smoking marijuana or consuming other cannabis products. It might be a drawback for those looking for recreational marijuana, but it is ideal for people looking for its therapeutic effects –
- It is an anti-inflammatory agent that can also regulate the gastric constriction and relaxation movements. Therefore, many modern experts of medicine recommend CBD treatment for the treatment of Crohn’s Disease, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and colitis.
- Its anti-inflammatory effects can help those suffering from chronic pain. Conditions like advanced osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylosis, and fibromyalgia hardly respond positively to traditional ibuprofen or opioid therapy. CBD isolate can ease the pain and swelling due to its endocannabinoid-mediated pain alleviation properties.
- It also has strong anti-oxidant properties. Neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and ALS barely respond to currently available medication. The anti-oxidant properties of CBD isolates can deter the progression of the disease and ease the tremors associated with them.
- Scientists have found that CBD can treat the symptoms of several autoimmune diseases including ALS and Multiple Sclerosis. It not only eases the pain, but a combination of the molecule’s analgesic and anti-oxidating properties can slow the progress of similar autoimmune disorders.
- Although there is not much data available on the effect of CBD on schizophrenic patients, the currently available studies show that controlled CBD therapy can reduce the instances of psychosis among diagnosed schizophrenics. On the other hand, it has a positive effect on those suffering from depression and anxiety, but only with controlled use.
Pure CBD isolates can become the life saver amidst today’s opioid crisis. With its excellent pain-killing and anti-inflammatory properties, CBD extracts can quickly replace the opioid derivatives that claim to treat chronic and acute pain effectively. The side effects of CBD are minimal unless someone is allergic to a cannabis-derived compound. In most of the observed cases, the contraindications have risen due to overuse or incorrect use of CBD isolates. Therefore, speak to your specialist or therapist about the correct dose, technique, and strain choice before you go CBD isolate shopping.
Throughout the year, our writers feature fresh, in-depth, and relevant information for our audience of 40,000+ healthcare leaders and professionals. As a healthcare business publication, we cover and cherish our relationship with the entire health care industry including administrators, nurses, physicians, physical therapists, pharmacists, and more. We cover a broad spectrum from hospitals to medical offices to outpatient services to eye surgery centers to university settings. We focus on rehabilitation, nursing homes, home care, hospice as well as men’s health, women’s heath, and pediatrics.