Hearing the word “surgery” always seems to be a serious matter. This is especially the case when the spine or backbone is involved. Specialists who handle spine surgeries are called Orthopedic Spine Surgeons. There are a few excellent Orthopedic Spine Surgeons in the Wayne, New Jersey area.
Orthopedic Spine Surgeon Wayne is dedicated to holistic patient care and excellent positive outcomes. They are also good communicators who spend time explaining their reasons for surgical treatment and other non-surgical options as well.
To get to know more about when you must visit an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon Wayne, read on.
When to Seek Orthopedic Spine Surgeon Wayne Surgical Care?
When conservative treatment methods failed to work and pain is still persistent and debilitating, spine surgery might be an option. Spine surgery is often predicted to relieve associated pain and numbness that is on one or both legs/arms.
Pain and numbness are symptoms that are often caused by compressed nerves in the spine. This may happen due to various reasons, including:
- Spine Disk Problems. Slipped (herniated) or bulging disks – the rubbery cushions separating the bones in the spine – can press too tightly against a spinal nerve then affecting its function.
- Bone Overgrowth. Some diseases such as osteoarthritis can cause bone spurs in the spine. Commonly when this happens, the hinge joints on the back of the spinal columns are affected and will narrow the amount of space it is for nerves to traverse openings in the spine.
Determining the exact cause of back pains can be very difficult that even if diagnostic tests show that there is a herniated disc or bone spur. Diagnostic tests are taken as recommended for this reason often show bulging or herniated disks that are in no need of treatment and are not causing any symptoms.
In cases most often, spine surgery is not performed ASAP in patients with herniated or degenerative spine conditions by Orthopedic Spine Surgeon Wayne as these conditions are slow to progress and worsen. Orthopedic Spine Surgeon Wayne asks the patient to wait at least 6 weeks before surgery. This gives the patient a chance to see if the body heals its own and allows for more conservative treatments to be done.
There are reasons though when a spine surgery should be done sooner – or even ASAP. These are:
- Severe, unrelenting pain
- Neurological symptoms (like foot drop or spinal cord injuries)
Spine surgery is at all times a combined decision between the patient and the Orthopedic Spine Surgeon Wayne.
What Types of Spine Surgery Do Orthopedic Spine Surgeon Wayne Perform?
Numerous types of back surgery that Orthopedic Spine Surgeon Wayne performs include:
- Diskectomy. This is the surgical removal of a herniated disc material that presses on a nerve root or the spinal cord. This is to relieve an irritated and inflamed nerve that caused pain or numbness. This procedure also involves the removal of the back portion of the lamina (a procedure called a laminectomy) to access the slipped disk.
- Spinal Fusion. This procedure connects 1 or more bones permanently in the spine. It relieves the pain by supplying stability to the vertebral fracture. It is sometimes used to eradicate painful shifts between vertebras caused by disk degeneration or injury.
- Laminectomy. This is the surgical removal of the lamina – the flattened part of the vertebral arch. This in turn expands the spinal canal and relieves pressure to the nerves caused by spinal stenosis.
- Artificial Disk Replacement. Replacement of artificial disks is an alternative to fusion for painful shifts between vertebras caused by disk degeneration or injury.
Orthopedic Spine Surgeon Wayne that offers Minimal Invasive Spinal Surgeries or MISS is the best to choose as these types of surgeries have considerately small incisions. MISS by Orthopedic Spine Surgeon Wayne because that they involve small incisions, offers a lot of advantages which are:
- faster wound healing
- substantially less blood loss
- smaller scars
- shorter operating time
- faster overall recovery from surgery
- can be done as OPD (out-patient)
What Non-surgical Treatments Does Orthopedic Spine Surgeon Wayne Recommend?
Up to 90% of patients with pain due to spinal conditions can respond to non-surgical/conservative management of pain. Each patient is assessed individually by Orthopedic Spine Surgeon Wayne to develop a specific program congruent to their needs.
- Pain Management
Functional outcomes must be addressed which may include modifications in the patient’s activities of daily living, home management, recreation, sexuality, care of children, and occupational matters. Appropriate utilization of medical services is done during treatments. Proper medication usage is also appropriate. Psychological support is urged when obtainable. Support of the spouse is also essential. Ergonomics and therapeutic exercise programs can also be offered.
Pain management for spine problems may also address five basic issues, namely:
- Lifestyle issues including smoking cessation, reduction of weight, and stopping illicit drug use.
- Exercise is the core of treatment for the conservative management of spinal conditions. Some exercises strengthen and stretch the back. Modalities such as moist heat, and cold compress, and electrical stimulation can also be utilized to lessen discomfort before fully engaging patients in exercises.
- Good body mechanics can be taught to patients with spinal disorders.
- Medications are commonly employed in the treatment of spinal disorders. NSAID or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can be taken on continuously rather than on a need-basis to achieve anti-inflammatory effects. Regular monitoring due to long-term usage of drugs is done.
- Spinal injections are quite effective in treating pain from spinal disorders. Epidural steroid injections can be given. Generally, spinal injection regimens are accompanied by existing specific treatment programs such are mentioned above.
- Nutrition Coaching
Almost all people know that good nutrition in addition to physical activity can contribute to overall well-being. Orthopedic Spine Surgeons Wayne who bank on this fact, offer nutrition coaching to their patients.
Good nutrition can help in:
- Reducing the risk of certain diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke, cancers, and osteoporosis
- Reducing high blood pressure
- Lowering high cholesterol
- Improving the ability to recover from illness or injuries
- Improve ability to recover from surgery
- Increase energy levels
The outcomes also of surgeries done by Orthopedic Spine Surgeon Wayne are directly related to the patient’s prior nutritional status.
In addition to the surgical and non-surgical methods that an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon Wayne can provide, it is important to consider practical things like success rates, previous customer satisfaction, ease of location and accessibility, flexible clinic hours, and acceptance of medical insurances.
Throughout the year, our writers feature fresh, in-depth, and relevant information for our audience of 40,000+ healthcare leaders and professionals. As a healthcare business publication, we cover and cherish our relationship with the entire health care industry including administrators, nurses, physicians, physical therapists, pharmacists, and more. We cover a broad spectrum from hospitals to medical offices to outpatient services to eye surgery centers to university settings. We focus on rehabilitation, nursing homes, home care, hospice as well as men’s health, women’s heath, and pediatrics.