Cannabis has long been used in treating a wide array of medical conditions. Despite the legal challenges along the way, the continuous research and study, and the propagation and breeding of different cannabis strains has made their way to the medical world.
Below, get to know how cannabis has been helping the medical world.
The Birth Of Hybrid Cannabis Strains
People can use cannabis for recreational or medical purposes. The crossbreeding of various cannabis species, such as cannabis sativa (provides euphoric and energizing effects), cannabis indica (causes sleepiness and couch lock), and cannabis ruderalis or autoflowering strains (fast-growing cannabis), paved the way to the birth of hybrid marijuana strains.
Hybrid cannabis strains were carefully bred for many years and generations to attain the perfect combination of effects, including their medical effects. Mixing and matching various marijuana strains has led to a unique cannabis strain.
Check the following examples of cannabis hybrid strains commonly used for medical purposes:
- Headband: This iconic cannabis indica hybrid is commonly used by patients suffering from migraines. It is known for its potent stoney, well-balanced high (60% indica and 40% sativa).
- Amnesia Haze: It is a potent and dynamic cannabis strain often recommended to people suffering from chronic pain, depression, and mood disorders.
- Super Skunk: This super hybrid cannabis is used as an adjunct medical treatment for managing stress, pain, anxiety, depression, and seizures.
Dramatic Medical Benefits Of CBD-Dominant Cannabis Strains
It is now possible to take cannabis without the high because of high-CBD marijuana strains. Medical cannabis strains have a high concentration of cannabidiol (CBD), a non-psychoactive compound found in hemp and cannabis, which is thought to help control childhood epilepsy, Dravet syndrome.
Take a look at the following medical benefits of CBD-dominant marijuana strains:
- Help lessen tremors in degenerative diseases, such as Parkinson’s disease
- Help patients suffering from wasting syndrome because of human immunodeficiency syndrome (HIV), Crohn’s disease, and irritable bowel syndrome
- Help patients suffering from chronic pain associated with fibromyalgia (widespread musculoskeletal pain), interstitial cystitis (chronic bladder health problem), and endometriosis (inflammation of the uterus)
The Rise Of FDA-Approved Cannabis Medical Products
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), up to this date, hasn’t approved any marketing application of marijuana to treat any medical condition. However, the agency approved cannabis-derived and related drug products only prescribed by licensed healthcare providers.
The FDA has approved the following cannabis-derived and related products:
- Epidiolex: This cannabis-derived drug contains a purified form of cannabidiol or CBD. Epidiolex is used for the treatment of Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome in pediatric patients.
- Marinol And Syndros: These cannabis-related drug products are for therapeutic uses, such as for AIDS patients who suffer from anorexia and weight loss. The active ingredient of Marino and Syndros is dronabinol (synthetic delta-9- tetrahydrocannabinol or THC).
- Cesamet: This FDA-approved drug contains nabilone, an active ingredient with a synthetically derived chemical structure like THC.
Medical cannabis consumption includes different modes of administration, which give patients good access to this treatment alternative. Check the following examples of cannabis consumption methods to guide you on how to start your medical cannabis journey:
- Vaping: Using vape pens and dry herb vaporizers allow medical patients to inhale cannabis vapor for immediate pain and other symptom relief.
- Edible Consumption: Cannabis tinctures, oils, and waxes are added to food and beverages, which provide long-lasting effects.
- Topical Administration: Patients apply cannabis topical products on the skin for fast absorption of cannabis compounds. It is usually used for treating skin problems.
As you can see, cannabis has been helping many patients, significantly contributing to the medical world. The continuous research on the potential medical benefits of cannabis gives rise to discoveries of effective hybrid strains for different disease signs and symptoms. CBD cannabis products provide therapeutic benefits, and the FDA has even approved cannabis-derived products because of their effectiveness in controlling seizures.