Most of you own dogs and that is why you are here reading this post. As a dog owner, you know how it feels like when your dog becomes a part of your family and you take care of him more than your own health; getting him food to toys and doggie daycare, you name it! Well, if you care so much about your dog, which you do obviously (I mean WHO DOESN’T?) then you should know about CBD for dogs. It has become a trend and people are loving it.
What is CBD?
CBD, cannabidiol, is a cannabis compound made from cannabis plant that provides health benefits and no it will not get your dog high. It does not have any psychoactive effect on humans or animals because it does not have THC in it.
How dogs react to CBD?
CBD affects the endocannabinoid system that both humans and dogs but dogs have more THC receptors in their brain, they are more sensitive to it. Therefore, they only digest products having CBD only. Pure CBD oil is used worldwide for pet wellness. Since CBD activates the endocannabinoid system on which all animals rely on for regulating bodily functions, it provides a lot of health benefits for dogs.
Benefits and Uses of CBD for puppies
As your dog ages, he will suffer from severe joint pain and would not be able to do one thing that dogs love the most i.e. run around. Or when you leave them or take them to the vet etc. it can make them suffer from anxiety and stress. They will start expressing it in restlessness, pacing, excessive barking or insomnia. CBD can be used to treat all of these diseases and many more. It targets inflammation in the joints as well as reduces the swelling and pain. It also calms your dog and relives his stress.
Many researches have been conducted regarding this. There was a control group and an experimental group. The dogs that were given CBD showed a massive decrease in the number of seizure attacks as compared to the other group.
There are numerous benefits that CBD provides for dog’s health. According to a study, it was found that when dogs digest CBD, it helps them manage the pain, stress and can lift their moods. It also removes inflammation and reduces cancer cell production. CBD provides physical as well as emotional benefits such as
- Prevents arthritis – CBD has anti- inflammatory properties that can reduce swelling in joints which can lead to arthritis in dogs. This is an important one because many dogs pain relief meds does not respond to arthritis pain but CBD has a direct and by its unique process it reduces inflammation and mediates pain. Traditional pain meds does not work on senior dogs because of cardiac weakness but CBD is safer to use as it does not have any type of cardiac effect.
- Reduces risk and severity of seizures – It has been recorded that almost 1-5% dogs suffer from seizures and they cannot be treated with typical treatment. CBD not only reduces the amount of seizures but also reduces the duration of them in certain users.
- Reduces anxiety – CBD is used to treat anxiety in dogs and even cure depression in them. It has special compounds that work through endocannabinoid system and help the hippocampus regenerate neurons in canines that produce calming effect in dogs. It is also useful for those who does not respond to common psychiatric medications.
- Fights cancer – CBD has positive effects when dealing with cancer, it slows down the cancer cells, helps the immune system to destroy the cells and even stops production of cancer cells and at the same time, it improves positive cell growth.
- Controls chronic pain – CBD has been used for relieving the pain for quite some time now. The chronic pain caused by illness or injury which cannot be treated with traditional methods of pain control, CBD helps to control the pain in dogs. By applying CBD oil can help relieve the pain without any cardiovascular effects.
- Treats nausea – Many medications can cause nausea which can lead to health problems like weight loss. CBD reduces nausea or delays the feelings of nausea in dogs.
- Treats Osteoporosis – CBD due to its anti- inflammatory and anti- pain properties not only stimulates new bone growth but also strengthens the bones damaged by osteoporosis.
- Controls diabetes – CBD controls the sugar level in dogs by controlling the appetite. In case of type 1 diabetes, CBD in order to reduce the damage to pancreas regulates the immune system whereas in type 2 diabetes, CBD also improves sensitivity to insulin.
- Improves healing – CBD speed up healing process especially after orthopedic surgeries. It also deals with pain/ inflammation caused by surgery as well as reduces inflammation, controls pain and provides bones support, hence making CBD ideal for healing process.
- Psoriasis – It is a skin condition and rare dogs suffer from it. CBD cures this condition as well by the anti- inflammatory and immune- regulatory properties of it.
Other benefits include
- Cures IBS – irritable bowel syndrome by its anti- inflammatory properties
- Treats anorexia – CBD treats anorexia and stimulates appetite by increasing sensitivity to taste and smell of food.
- Improves sleep – it helps improve sleep of dogs with cognitive dysfunction.
- Treats glaucoma
- Improves digestive and nervous system
- Suppresses muscle spasms – decreases the severity and frequency of muscle spasms.
- Improves blood flow – poor circulation caused by different diseases can be cured by CBD.
- Muscle relaxant – CBD is excellent in relaxing muscles which tighten up by diseases like meningitis, myasthenia gravis, muscle hypertonicity etc.
- It is a powerful antioxidant.
As CBD provides a number of health benefits mentioned above, it is important that you give your dog Best CBD Oil before anything such as card rides, trip to vets, leaving for work etc. that will trigger their pain, anxiety or inflammation. Start with a small dose and keep a close eye for any side effects.