Hair loss in men – what is the reason?

Updated on July 1, 2020

Hair loss in men is very often a hereditary condition. According to a report, approximately 35 million men and 21 million women suffer from hair loss. In men, hair follicles on the scalp then show increased sensitivity to male hormones (dihydrotestosterone), and this results in hair loss. Only the hair on the back and sides of the head is resistant to the metabolite testosterone, which is why they are used in the surgical treatment of baldness in men, even in advanced stages.

Dihydrotestosterone, i.e. the biggest enemy of hair follicles

Every day men lose up to 100 hair and this is a natural phenomenon. Usually, 90% of the hair on their scalp grows and is in the so-called anagen phase, which is – in simplified form – the growth phase. The remaining 10% of hair goes into the resting phase (telogen phase). It is about 100 telogen hair that falls out every day and gives way to new ones.

Dihydrotestosterone is the active form of testosterone – it is formed as a result of the conversion of testosterone to which some hair follicles are extremely sensitive. Due to the negative effects of the aforementioned hormone, less hair grows out of the hair follicles, and those that appear are finer, softer and their life span decreases (the anagen phase shortens). Ultimately, growth may completely disappear, and this will result in permanent loss of hair follicles – baldness.

Hair loss patterns in male pattern baldness

Hair loss progresses with age, and the pattern of hair loss depends on our genes. The answer to the question about the shape of the hair loss pattern on our head and, above all, how extensive it will be, can be traced in the history of our family.

Male pattern baldness is the most common type of hair loss. In some cases, it starts after the age of 20, but most often the first signs of it are seen by men in their thirties. A typical male hair loss pattern is an increase in the hairline, which over the years leads to complete baldness in the front of the head. In this type of baldness, there may also be a bald spot in the back of the head – called the crown or just the top of the head. If hair loss enters the advanced stage, these two areas (front and top) can merge, depriving the hair of most of the patient’s head. In this situation, the remaining hair on the head usually takes the shape of a horseshoe.

Time of hair loss, or how quickly we can bald

It is difficult to predict the time during which the entire hair loss process will take place in men. In some people, hair falls out relatively slowly (within 15-25 years), in others at a much faster rate – even within 5 years. People who have been affected by alopecia should contact their physician to stop hair loss as soon as possible. If you want to ensure that you have the perfect treatment for hair loss, try Numan

+ posts

Throughout the year, our writers feature fresh, in-depth, and relevant information for our audience of 40,000+ healthcare leaders and professionals. As a healthcare business publication, we cover and cherish our relationship with the entire health care industry including administrators, nurses, physicians, physical therapists, pharmacists, and more. We cover a broad spectrum from hospitals to medical offices to outpatient services to eye surgery centers to university settings. We focus on rehabilitation, nursing homes, home care, hospice as well as men’s health, women’s heath, and pediatrics.