There are always those days where we feel that our nose is not good enough. It is either too big, too small, or too flat. It is something that is not to be ashamed of nowadays. A lot of people have been doing it, so why not you? If you have been thinking about it already, make sure that you choose the best rhinoplasty in New York City. In this way, you will be able to get the results that you truly desire.
What Should I Do Before I Undergo Rhinoplasty?
By this time, you are now wondering what preparations you are going to need before you undergo this type of plastic surgery. Of course, the first thing you need to find is a Rhinoplasty in New Your City who have plastic surgeons that you are surely going to be comfortable with.
After you have chosen which clinic you are going to undergo the procedure, here are tips that you should observe before your undergo rhinoplasty:
- See to it that you avoid taking aspirin, ibuprofen like Advil or Motrin, and other types of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications. Furthermore, it is also best that you avoid taking Vitamin E, herbal supplements, or any type of medications that contain similar compounds within two weeks before your scheduled surgery. Taking in multivitamins are okay.
- Make sure that you avoid smoking two weeks before and after the surgery. The reason for this prohibition is that nicotine and tobacco smoke will cause the delay in healing and if healing is delayed, this can result in scarring. Something that you do not want to happen. On a side note, this is also going to be your perfect opportunity to give up smoking.
- Make sure that you avoid sun damage to your skin within two weeks before the day of your surgery. If you cannot avoid walking out of the sun, it is important that you wear sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher.
- You should not take any sort of medications. You will be given prescription by your surgeon after the surgery and this is the only medication that you are allowed to take on the day of the surgery.
- Make sure that you already the following non-prescription items:
- A saline nasal spray either branded or generic
- A Vaseline ointment
- Sinecch which is a herbal supplement that will help in the reduction of swelling and bruising.
- A stool softener — because with the surgery, you will have decreased activity, and because you will be taking pain medication and anesthesia, you may have trouble disposing because of constipation.
- After midnight in the night before your rhinoplasty, make sure that you do not eat or drink anything, even water.
- It is also important that you have someone who can take you home from the hospital. This is because after the surgery, you will not be allowed to drive or be left alone. It is best that you have someone to stay with you for the first 24 hours after the surgery.
- If you leave hours away from New York, it is best that you have rented a space near your clinic where you can temporarily stay after the surgery.
Things to Remember on the day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
When the day of your surgery has arrived, it is best that you observe the following:
- Make sure that you did not eat or drink anything, even water, in the morning of your surgery. There will be essential medications which you can take with just a sip of water.
- It is now time that you also take your first dose of Sinecch.
- Make sure that you wear loose-fitting clothes that easily fastens in front or back.
- See to it that you left all your valuables at home. It is not the right time to wear jewelry.
- Make sure that your face is clean. In short, do not wear any makeup.
- Wearing glasses is allowed but not contact lenses.
- If you have dentures, make sure that you keep them in.
- Make sure that you have your ID and your insurance card on hand.
All Done! Now What to Do After Surgery?
Now that you have your nose done, post-operative is important. As this will entail an effective healing process if you see to it that you follow the following tips:
- Make sure that you change the dressing under your nose until the drainage stops.
- It is highly important that you avoid blowing your nose for two weeks. You can sniff back gently, but again, you must not blow your nose. If you are about to sneeze, make sure that you sneeze with your mouth open.
- If you have nasal packs with you, they will be removed before you step out of the surgery center.
- Make sure that the inside of your nose is moist. You can do this by using the nasal saline spray. Put in two puffs per nostril for four to six times or more every day. This will help in the healing process and give comfort.
- In the first 48 hours after the surgery, it is important that you keep your head elevated in order to minimize swelling. You should have a recliner that works well, or sleep with extra pillow.
- In the first 48 hours, it is also important that you put on iced gauze pads to the eyes and the cheeks. This will help in minimizing the swelling and discoloration. And no, do not just use any kinds of ice packs.
- It is normal for your nose, eyes, and upper lip to swell after the removal of the dressing. It will eventually heal within 7 to 14 days. However, there are certain patients who takes up to six months before all the swelling will completely disappear.
- If you feel something is off, do not self-medicate. Consult your doctor immediately and make sure that you only take medications that is being prescribed by your doctor.
- After the removal of your cast, you can clean the skin on your nose gently by using a mild soap. You can also wear makeup as soon as the cast has been removed. If there are some discolorations, you can temporarily cover this up by using makeup.
With all these things to consider, it is indeed important that you choose the right rhinoplasty in New York City. Make sure that you have chosen the clinic that can provide you the assistance that you are going to need.