The word ‘care’ can be very small but the meaning of it is varied and much more than what the Cambridge or Oxford dictionary defines it to be. It is a relation, an understanding and a trust between the patient and the hospice care provider. Ideally, it should be transformed from care to concern.
Therefore, special care techniques and process must be followed so that it provides results just as desired and the value to money just as high as expected. A lot of adjustments and alterations must be made in the care schedule and even a few sacrifices must be made by the caregivers. All this should be in accordance to the needs of the patients more than their wishes. Ideally, the job of the caregiver is for the patient or the elderly to feel comfortable and well-cared and not them.
Be flexible in scheduling
Flexibility is what the caregivers need in scheduling their care giving programs. Sticking to a rigid schedule may often have adverse effects on the elderly patient.
- If the patient is an early riser, it will be unwise and even dangerous at times to change it according to the convenience of the caregiver. Since no body has the same sleep patterns and all are accustomed to theirs, it will be an unwise move. Moreover, following the same sleep pattern for so many years, it will be impossible to change it at this stage of their lives.
- Their need is another thing that the caregivers should consider to make their services better. Need will vary from one patient to another and therefore the caregiver should be flexible enough to work according to the need of the particular patient. For example, if medication is needed late at night, delaying it will have dangerous consequences and therefore the caregiver should have proper plans for it made beforehand.
- Over time, behavior as well as needs may change just as their speed to perform any act. The caregiver must give the patient enough time to do things and not rush them. Hurrying things will not only make the work bad but may also affect the physical condition of the patient causing further damages to muscles and bones. Therefore, the caregiver should be more adjustable to the need for time by the patients so that it is more comfortable for him or her.
Reliable and reputable caregiving agencies such as Myallamericancare and others will make their plans for hospice care strategically and they will never follow a ‘one size fits for all’ approach. In fact, every program will be planned and designed according to each patient’s needs. Such tailored services will provide better results and a long-lasting relationship as well.
There are different important aspects to consider while planning a caregiving program. A few of these are:
- The age of the patient that needs care
- The relationship between the care recipient and the caregiver
- The level of care to be provided
- The approximate time for which the care recipient needs assistance
- The marital status of the care recipient and much more.
An important part of the planning process is to coordinate with the health care workers. This means, the start and end time of the care process should not be taxing for both the patient and the care giver because both these will have adverse effect on the final outcome.
If it needs to begin at 11 in the morning and end at 10 in the night, it might be so arranged even if it needs hiring two different caregivers to abide by the overtime rules. This will make sure that the care recipient is much more rested, comfortable, relaxed and ready to share in the care.
There is another significant issue to consider while planning and scheduling a care program. This is to use all the days of the week to provide the support services. This is necessary to ensure that other services do not overlap with the hospice care as that will not only affect the work adversely but will also make the patient very tired and extremely fatigued after such visits.
Therefore, creating a tailored care giving plan will allow the caregiver to minimize such issues is essential which is why you will find that different caregiver agencies have and follow separate internal schedules. This makes the caregiving service less invasive and more effective.
Fulfilling the responsibilities
There are many things involved in the day to day responsibilities and therefore, it is necessary to know the responsibilities in detail. This will help in designing a better plan ensuring that all aspects are covered while working down the details.
The first thing that needs to be made is a calendar and on it you must indicate all the necessary jobs such as appointment with doctors, physiotherapist and even the date when medicines and medical supplies were last bought. This will keep all the tasks well organized and free flowing. Such a calendar will also help in other ways such as:
- Keeping the transportation of such appointments ready beforehand
- Be aware of the other the logistics to get the patient to the hospital and much more.
You should always work with a list in your hand not only during appointments but throughout the care giving process. Having a list in hand will avoid confusions such as:
- Missing the cane or walker during a trip
- Misplacing the x-rays and other reports
- Not wearing the orthopedic accessories needed to wear
- Not finding the addresses and phone numbers of doctors to call up or visit during emergencies and others.
It is required to include a few other specific things in such a list so that the responsibilities can be fulfilled properly. These are:
- The name and phone number of pharmacies with their location and hours of operation
- The instruction regarding the use of oxygen concentrator if any
- The schedule of the home care workers along with the individual responsibilities.
Therefore, every little detail must be considered wile planning to do the job well.