Hair loss can be a troubling issue, with many people experiencing it at some point in their lives. However, there are several ways to reduce or prevent hair loss, as outlined below:
- Consider prescription medications: Two clinically approved drugs for preventing further hair loss are finasteride and minoxidil. Finasteride works by inhibiting the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT), while minoxidil increases blood flow to the follicles. Both treatments may result in some hair regrowth, but there are risks of side effects such as erectile dysfunction, decreased libido, skin irritation, and allergic reactions.
- Use a laser comb: Laser combs are the only hair-loss treatment to have received FDA approval. They work by increasing hair density, although the exact way they work is not fully understood. Laser combs are available only through private payment in the UK.
- Change your hair products: Some gels and styling products can contribute to hair loss, as the chemicals in them may become trapped in the follicles, preventing hair from surfacing. Avoid excessive use of hair gels and opt for natural styling products with fewer chemicals, suggest Los Angeles Hair Institute.
- Avoid hot showers: Hot showers can damage the scalp by stripping it of essential oils that protect it, leading to dryness and inflammation. While there is no direct evidence that hot showers lead to hair loss, some believe that scalp inflammation can result in the miniaturization of the hair follicles and thinning hair.
- Switch to anti-DHT shampoos: DHT is the main culprit in hair loss, and some shampoos can help combat this. Look for products containing 1-2% ketoconazole, a drug that blocks the conversion of testosterone to DHT.
- Try scalp massage: Some studies have suggested that scalp massage can increase hair density by improving blood circulation to the scalp and hair follicles. Scalp massage may also lower stress levels, which is another factor related to hair loss.
- Have a transplant: If you already have significant hair loss, a transplant may be your best option. The transplant process involves taking hair follicles from the DHT-resistant “donor” regions at the back and sides of the head and grafting them onto the scalp. Some of the newer hair transplant techniques use hair stem cells to stimulate regrowth in the donor area, allowing for repeated transplantations if necessary.
While there is no guaranteed way to prevent hair loss, these methods can be effective in reducing or preventing further hair loss and promoting hair regrowth.
Throughout the year, our writers feature fresh, in-depth, and relevant information for our audience of 40,000+ healthcare leaders and professionals. As a healthcare business publication, we cover and cherish our relationship with the entire health care industry including administrators, nurses, physicians, physical therapists, pharmacists, and more. We cover a broad spectrum from hospitals to medical offices to outpatient services to eye surgery centers to university settings. We focus on rehabilitation, nursing homes, home care, hospice as well as men’s health, women’s heath, and pediatrics.